Governor to sign five ceremonial education bills
April 7, 2015
What: Gov. Gary R. Herbert will sign five pro-education bills during a special ceremonial signing that focus on the importance of funding schools, supporting teachers and helping students succeed.
The governor will sign the following bills:
- HB198, Strengthening College and Career Readiness. This bill provide grants to school counselors to help students become college and career ready.
- SB117, Interventions for Reading Difficulties Pilot Program. This bill creates a pilot program for students at risk for, or experiencing reading difficulties, including dyslexia.
- SB243, Utah Futures Participation Amendments. This bill modifies the Department of Workforce Services, the State Board of Regents and the State Board of Educationâ€™s participation in the Utah Futures program. It also provides a one-time appropriation of $2 million to complete development of a comprehensive website that will benefit Utah students and education providers.
- HB30 Math Teacher Training Program Amendments. This bill modifies a grant program for teacher training in math to allow stipends, professional development, and leadership opportunities to experienced mathematics teachers, so they may become teacher leaders.
- HB363 School Trust Program Amendments. This bill provides provisions related to the School LAND Trust Program and school community councils. It includes raising the cap on the School Land Trust program from two to three percent of the Minimum School Program allowing schools to receive more money from the interest on trust lands.
Where: Joel P. Jensen Middle School
8105 South 3200 West, West Jordan, UT 84088
When: Wed., April 8, 2015 at 9:00 a.m.
Gov. Gary R. Herbert
Rep. Patrice Arent
Karee Atkinson, president Decoding Dyslexia Utah
Sen. Todd Weiler
Rep. Rebecca Edwards
Rep. Rich Cunningham