In 1847, a group of Mormon Pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley and Brigham Young, envisioning the future of their great settlement, famously declared “This is the right place.” While more than a century has passed and times have certainly changed, one thing remains truer than ever – Utah still is the right place.
Through our pioneering spirit, inclusive attitude, dedication to innovation, efficiency, and more, Utah has earned a reputation as the best state in the nation for living, starting a family, finding work, and for making a difference.
U.S. News and World Report named Utah the #1 State for Fiscal Responsibility, rated Utah’s economic strength 2nd in the nation, our education system 3rd, and acknowledged that Utah’s college students have the lowest average debt at graduation.
Bloomberg has praised our economic mobility, and claimed that while others may be struggling, Utah is the state where the American dream is still alive and well.
Forbes has recognized Utah as the Best State for Business six of the past eight years. Moreover, they ranked our labor supply 2nd in the nation, recognizing the talent of our employees and the workforce our state attracts.
Utah has also been recognized by WalletHub as the most charitable state in the nation, a ranking that has held strong for more than a decade. Utahns volunteer more, donate more, and do so as a larger percentage of their time and income than those in other states.
The United Health Foundation recognizes Utah as one of the healthiest states in the nation and notes that Utah has the lowest percentage of smokers.
All of this has certainly had an impact on the happiness of our residents, and WalletHub even recognized the great state of Utah as the 2nd happiest place in the nation. Don’t worry, we forgive them for being slightly off on this one – we are the happiest.
While we certainly like to share our accolades and the stories of our successes with the world, we recognize that the only way to truly understand the “Utah Way” is to live it.
You have to experience the Greatest Snow on Earth™ at one of the countless world-class ski resorts just minutes away from your home or work. You need to feel your body propel into the air as the Utah Jazz sink that buzzer-beater in a championship game. You need to taste our locally-sourced, high-end cuisines, or stare into the night sky while surrounded by red rock arches and pillars in Southern Utah to truly understand what makes us who we are.
Utah is the only state to receive a rating from the Michelin travel guide, and in their brilliance, they recognized Utah as a 3-Star state, deeming it “exceptional, worth a special journey in itself.”
Utah is unique. Our prosperity is propelled further by our vision for the future and our respect for the past. Our residents are diverse, and speak more than 120 languages in the conduct of business. We encourage diversity and inspire creativity. We admire innovation and reward hard work, and above all else, we have fun. We are unlike anywhere else in the world. We are Utah.
- Utah was listed #1 in America for workforce quality by Chief Executive Magazine. [GOED]
- Utah has been ranked No. 1 for having the brightest economic outlook of any state in America for 10 consecutive years. [KUTV]
- Utah is the #1 State for the Middle Class [CNBC]
- In 2017, Salt Lake City became #1 among cities poised to become “Tomorrow’s Tech Meccas.” [Forbes]
- In 2016, Utah was ranked 1st in innovation and entrepreneurship and in high tech performance. [Chamber of Commerce]
- Utah is #1 for Fiscal Stability. [U.S. News]
- Utah is ranked #1 for Economic Health in 2018. [Wallethub]
- Utah has been ranked #1 for 8 years in a row for Economic Outlook. [Alec-Laffer State Economic Competitiveness Index]
- Utah is ranked #1 for highest Median Annual Household Income in 2018. [Wallethub]
- Utah was ranked #1 for Best State for Business in 2015 and 2016. [Forbes]
- Utah is #2 in the nation for income growth. [Pew Research, March 10, 2016]
- Utah is ranked #2 for the best Job Market in the nation. [CEO World]
- Utah was ranked #3 for the number of self-employed women in 2014. [U.S Chamber of Commerce]
- Utah is ranked #3 for Most Startup Activity. [Wallethub]
- Utah was ranked #3 as the Best State for Business in 2017. [Forbes]
- Utah is ranked #4 for top states for Entrepreneurship and Innovation. [INC.com]
- Utah is ranked 4th in the nation for financial literacy. [Wallethub]
- Utah has been named the “Best State for Business and Careers” 6 of the past 8 years. [Forbes; GOED]
- In 2017, a Wall Street Analysis showed Utah was the best state in America for business. [24/7 Wall Street]
- Utah leads the nation in technology, adding the most tech jobs of any state in the country in 2016. [GOED]
- Utah has been praised for economic mobility, and while others may be struggling, Utah is the state where the American dream is still alive and well. [Bloomberg]
- Seven of the nation’s best 30 small cities to start a business are located in Utah. [WalletHub]
- Utah tops the list of fastest-growing tech states. [Business Insider]
- University of Utah Health Care ranked #1 in the nation for quality, accountability and safety. [2016 Vizient’s Quality and Accountability Study]
- Utah has been rated #2 for Health Care Quality. [U.S. News]
- Utah was the 2nd best state in 2016 for lowest health insurance costs. [Kaiser Family Foundation, Huffington Post]
- Utah’s obesity rate is the 5th lowest in the country. [U.S. News]
- Utah has the lowest rates of cancer deaths and heart disease in the nation. [United Health Foundation]
- Utah has been recognized by the United Health Foundation as one of the healthiest states in the nation and has the lowest percentage of smokers. [United Health Foundation]
- Utah leads the nation in fertility rates. [Deseret News; 2016, University of Utah research, Pam Perlich]
- Utah was named one of America’s five healthiest states in 2016 and 2017. [United Health Foundation]
- Utah had the lowest diabetes rate in the nation in 2015. [Gallup Healthways Report]
- Utah has one of the lowest numbers of children in poverty. [United Health Foundation]
- In 2013, Utah was awarded a State Innovation Models grant from the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation. [Primary Care Collaborative]
- Caring.com ranks Utah as the best state to grow old in. [Bloomberg]
- Utah consistently has the nation’s lowest smoking and diabetes rates. [health.com]
- Utah had the lowest personal healthcare costs in the United States and the lowest hospital costs in the nation. [Intermountain Health Care]
- 70% of the world’s arterial and vascular access devices are manufactured right here in Utah, and our state is home to companies making groundbreaking advancements in the fields of genomics, genetics, and personalized medicine, just to name a few. [EDCUtah, University of Utah Health Care]
- The University of Utah was named No. 1 in the nation in 2017 for Tech Commercialization. [Milken Institute]
- Utah’s education system is #3 in the nation. [U.S. News & World Report]
- Utah has the highest literacy rate in the nation, the highest number of high school graduates, and the highest number of college graduates. [World Population Review]
- Utahns graduate college with the lowest debt load. [U.S. News & World Report]
- The University of Utah was named a top college in America in 2016 for aspiring entrepreneurs. [Lendedu.com]
- Utah was also the only state to earn an A+ on its efforts to teach financial literacy in schools, based on a report by Chaplain College. [Chaplain College]
- 20% of all Chinese dual-language immersion schools are located in Utah. [Herbert/Markell op-ed U.S. News & World Report]
- Utah has been ranked #2 for Best States for Infrastructure in the category of Transportation. [US News]
- Utah is home to the 2nd Best Run City in America. [Wallethub]
- Utah was ranked #9 for Best Infrastructure in America. [CNBC]
- The state of Utah expects to spend $60 billion on infrastructure over the next 20 years. [Good4Utah]
- Within the next 20 years, the State of Utah plans on investing $3.7 billion to clean water infrastructure. [2017 Infrastructure Report Card]
- In 2014, 10.2% of Utah’s total spending was capital spending. [Center on Budget and Policy Priorities]
Quality of Life
- Utah has been recognized as the #1 most charitable state in the nation for more than a decade. [Wallethub]
- Utah, again, was recognized as the #1 Most Charitable State. [Forbes]
- Utah rated #1 for social capital by the Joint Economic Committee of Congress. [Deseret News]
- Utah was the happiest state in the nation in 2015 and the second happiest state in 2017. [Wallethub]
- Utah is ranked #3 for Civic Engagement Among Millenials. [Wallethub]
- Utah is the 4th Best Place to Live. [KSL via Gallop-Healthways Well-being Index]
- Utah has been rated #6 for Best Social Environment. [U.S. News]
- Utah is ranked #7 for Best States for Millenials. [Wallethub]
- Utah’s video game industry has doubled in size since 2005. [2014 GOED Brightest Star Video]
- Utah has been named by multiple sources as one of the top states for business and quality of life. [Forbes, Gallup, Pollina, Wall Street Journal]
- Utah was the 1st state in the nation to create an outdoor recreation office. [The Denver Post]
- Utah has the world’s premier independent film festival — the Sundance Film Festival in Park City.
- Utah has the nation’s first Science, Art and Technology Museum. [Brightest Star Video]
- Salt Lake City is one of only 17 cities in America that has a symphony, an opera, a theatre and a ballet. [GOED]
- Utah’s energy costs are 35 percent lower than the national average. [Brightest Star Video]
- Utah has more national parks than any other state in the nation. Utah also has 8 national monuments, 2 national recreation areas, 6 national forests and 43 state parks. [The American Southwest]
- Utah was named the world’s top must-see destination in 2016. [Fodor Travel]
- Park City, Utah is rated as the nation’s top mountain town. [Travel and Leisure]
- Utah has the 3rd highest average elevation of American States, surpassed only by Colorado and Wyoming. [worldatlas.com]
- Utah is mentioned as a “Trip Everyone Must Do” for not only winter skiing and sports but for the thriving art scene. [Insider]
- Utah was ranked the best travel destination in 2016 for exceptional scenery, adventure, and for having something to offer everyone from families to solo-travelers. [Fodor]
- Utah is the nation’s fastest-growing state. [U.S. Census Bureau]
- Utah is America’s youngest state, with a median age of 30.7 compared with the national average of 37.8. [Deseret News]
- Utah has the largest household size in the country, with 3.16 persons per household in 2014 compared to 2.65 nationally. [U. Kem Gardner Policy Institute]